How to Apply
Thanks for your patience during this unsettling COVID time. We will begin taking applications again Nov. 15, 2021 to Feb. 15, 2022 for the 2022 summer season.
The Submittable button link below will be made active during that time.
There is no application fee. Applications are handled through our Submittable account. Please review the information below before clicking on the button. You will then be directed to the Submittable site to set up your Alderworks Alaska application account.
- Early Summer – mid-May to late June (4-6 weeks). Writers in this slot may also choose to participate in the North Words Writers Symposium in Skagway at the end of May for an additional, but reduced fee.
- Late Summer – mid-July to late August (4-6 weeks).
How to Apply
The application goes through Submittable and is easy to use. You will be asked to send us the following application essentials:
- Name(s), Address, Contact Information (phone and email), and brief Cover Info.
- Date preference (early summer or late summer residency period AND number of weeks that you plan on staying)
- Cabin preference and why (see the CABINS tab for descriptions and residency fees), and a second preference.
- Letter of intent – two or three pages telling us who you are, what you have done, what you hope to accomplish through this residency, and why Alderworks?
- Resume of work to date.
- If you are a writer, send us a list of what you have published (and at least one sample) or samples of what you are trying to publish. Up to 5 document files allowed.
- If you are an artist or musician, send us examples of your best work. Up to 5 images and recordings allowed. There also will be a spot where you can provide links to materials that are already online.
- You can add files to the application until it is complete. An email will be sent to you confirming receipt of your application.
- Submissions are secure on the site and are seen only by the three members of our Alderworks selection family.
Submittable Button active Nov. 15 – Feb. 15 (currently closed, see above)
What Happens Next
Finalists will be contacted in February for a phone or Skype interview. Acceptance will follow no later than the end of February for the following summer’s six residencies. A 50% deposit must be submitted within 10 days of acceptance and upon confirmation of the residency by the applicant.
PAYMENT & CANCELLATION POLICY
A nonrefundable 50% deposit will be taken upon confirmation of the residency by the applicant, with the balance due for the entire residency period to be paid 30 days prior to arrival at Alderworks. Municipality of Skagway sales tax of 5% for the summer residency will be applied at this time.
Residencies may be cancelled up to 30 days prior to the start of the residency for an additional $100 fee. Residencies cancelled within 30 days shall not receive a partial refund unless due to a medical emergency and may depend on whether a replacement can be found on short notice.