The purpose of Alderworks is to enhance the creative process. If you are accepted, how you succeed at creating new or better work is pretty much up to you. What we provide is a simple setting, secluded on the edge of wilderness, that is meant to inspire. If something wonderful comes from this experience, whether a work of art or a jumbled puzzle of brilliant ideas that need more honing, then we are happy and hopefully you will be too.
We do ask that you do something for the community while you are here, whether giving a reading, having a small show at your cabin, or hosting a workshop. You also are welcome to help in the garden if you want to.
What we provide – basics
- a residence away from home in which to live, write and create
- shared space in new studio building for artist(s)-in-residence
- bedding and towels
- kitchen with utensils and cookware
- electricity, refrigerator, propane cook stove/oven, running water, and drinking water (each cabin will have a jug for drinking water, water out of the taps is not good for drinking)
- electric wall heaters in each cabin, supplemented by wood stoves in Bea and Mary Jane cabins (residents will be instructed in proper use of these and fire safety)
- bath facilities (private bath in Mary Jane, bath house for Bea and Margaret residents)
- laundry facility with soap for washing your clothes, towels, bedding, etc.
- wireless internet (good in and around Bea and Mary Jane; not so much at the Margaret but other cabins are close by). There is no cell service in Dyea but Wifi calls (FaceTime, WhatsApp) are possible.
- bicycles for getting around Dyea
- security via an electric bear fence surrounding the property, bear spray for walks in the woods (bears are in the Dyea area but encounters are very rare; still, you need to be bear aware for your safety and the animal’s)
- weekly ride to Skagway for grocery run – or at other times if need fits our schedule
- BBQ every couple weeks to catch up with everyone (otherwise if you want to be left alone, we will leave you alone – let us know)
What you provide
- Your own food – we will take you into town weekly to shop. Skagway has a medium-sized grocery store and a variety of restaurants.
- Car if you feel you need one (one of us usually goes to every day or two and can provide rides to get groceries, etc.)
- Community project – reading, workshop, show at Alderworks with other residents or in town.
What we don’t allow
- pets – we have our own dogs, cats, chickens, geese, horses, and pigs
- non-working spouses or significant others, except for short visits
- TV (no reception in Dyea anyway and no dish on our property – if you want to stream shows on your laptop or phone, no problem, just keep the noise down or wear headphones).
- loud music (unless at BBQ nights by the firepit)
- smoking in the cabins
- alterations to cabins (if you want to move furniture around, speak to us first)
- damage to property
- rude or inappropriate behavior
Please read over the Cabin Rules in each cabin as soon as you get here. At the end of your residency, we welcome your comments on how to make Alderworks better!